The Drilling Manager will be responsible for overseeing and managing all drilling operations within our firm and ensuring they are performed in a safe and efficient manner. This role requires extensive experience in drilling operations and a commitment to upholding the highest standards of environmental and safety standards.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Lead and manage drilling operations, ensuring that all drilling operations are conducted in a safe and professional manner.
- Oversee and manage Velocity’s drill crew(s), including hiring, training, discipline, and performance evaluation.
- Operate Velocity’s drill rig(s) and perform geotechnical drilling operations when necessary.
- Drive Velocity’s drill rig(s) and/or support vehicle(s) in a safe and professional manner (CDL NOT required).
- Train drillers and drilling assistants to operate Velocity’s drill rig(s) and support vehicle(s) in a safe and efficient manner.
- Purchase and maintain appropriate stock of materials and supplies needed for drilling operations.
- Ensure that Velocity’s drill rig(s) and support vehicle(s) are properly equipped with materials, supplies, and tooling.
- Prepare and manage drilling budgets, monitor expenses, and implement cost-saving measures where possible.
- Conduct site inspections and risk assessments to proactively address potential safety hazards.
- Understand utility locate markings in the field and stake geotechnical boring locations.
- Assist with clearing operations for geotechnical investigations.
- Coordinate with geotechnical engineers to understand project requirements and develop drilling plans.
- Coordinate with other Velocity staff members to schedule drilling projects, including obtaining drilling permits and utility locates, as necessary.
- Coordinate with drilling subcontractors when necessary and oversee work performed by subcontractors.
- Oversee the maintenance of drilling equipment, ensuring all machinery is in good, safe, and reliable condition.
- Perform maintenance and repair of drilling equipment, drill rig(s), and support vehicle(s) which will require basic mechanical knowledge of diesel and gasoline engines. (Outside mechanics may be utilized for repairs if necessary.)
- Stay abreast of industry trends, equipment, methodology, and best practices in drilling operations.
The ideal candidate would have the following qualifications:
- Clean Driving Record (Required).
- Must be able to work outdoors in all climates.
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds multiple times per day.
- High school diploma or equivalency.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Strong math and science skills.
- Willingness to arrive at work early and work late when necessary.
- Have reliable transportation to/from work.
- Hold a Florida Well Contractor’s license, or have the ability to obtain (preferred but not mandatory).
- Additionally, experience with welding (MIG/ARC) and minor fabrication would be helpful but not mandatory.